gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 12:03:17 -0700

Yo Lisandro!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:47:18 -0300
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Proper public API, for sure.
> >
> > You got it.  So I fail to see the problem.
>
> Or you might not consider public API as much as other do. Please do
> not take any kind of offense in there, but yes, I'm of the lot who
> considers public stable API a great thing to develop on.

And gpsd has a public stable API.  So keep walking around a problem but
not descbing it.

> That includes proper SONAME handling, which I know it's sometimes not
> easy.

I see nothing wrong with the gpsd SONAME binding.  I do appreciate that
Debian does some of that in non-standard ways.

> > One mans PITA is another man's safe place.  You ever read the Google
> > critiques of Debian?
>
> Yes, and I also have my critiques on Debian too. But proper library
> handling is above that.

Can you please define 'proper'?  I think kgpsd is doing it properly.

> > You got it.  So I fail to see the problem?  For some reason Debian's
> > idea of naming is different than most other peoples...
>
> You can name it what you want, really. It's just that if a library
> uses one Qt version and the other another, exposing it's public API,
> then the two must be seen as totally different things.

Lost me.  If we can name it anything we want, with the stable public
API, then what is the problem?

> Having
> libQgpsmm for Qt4 and libQt5gpsmm for Qt5 allows a packager to
> provide both versions of it, and application developers rely on one
> or another without issues.

And what is stopping you?  'cp' is an easy command to use.

> But well, I ended up adding a QSocketNotifier to gps_fd, as provided
> by libgps. It's a solution non the less.

Why not just use the Qt 5 lib that gpsd gives you?

> So, even if we might disagree, thanks *a lot* for the help.

And yet, oddly I fail to see where we disagree?

> At very
> least I got to read more gpsd code and understand what's under the
> hood.

That is always good.

RGDS
GARY