gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:59:00 -0700

Yo Lisandro!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 13:50:41 -0300
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If anyone really cared then Qt5 support could be quickly added.  Is
> > that all you need?
>
> Right now, yes. But the library name change is mandatory to allow
> both Qt4 and Qt5 versions coexist, in case a user need both (and also
> help distro packagers to provide both versions at the same time).

Uh, not exactly.  You don't really need any libqgpsmm to use Qt5 with
gpsd.

> > Right, Qt creates a main loop.  Use their loop, or another one.  No
> > way around it.  that is how computers work.  "callbacks" are just an
> > obfuscation of that fact.
>
> And the easiest way to use Qt's loop is to use the QTcpSocket exposed
> in struct gps_data_t to notify the user of incoming data, thus
> avoiding gps_waiting().

Not really avoiding it.  Just obfuscating it.

And since you like the QTcpSocket() method, what is stopping you?  The
code for it is in libgps_sock.c  Just uusee that.

> > > Now that I have read a nice amount of gpsd's code I see that
> > > there is currently no public code to do this,
> >
> > Why do you think xgps, which is Qt, is not doing what you need?
>
> It is not Qt, it's Gtk. And it's python, I need C/C++.

The python layer and the C/C++ layer use the exact same API.  If you
understand one then you understand the other.

At the loweest levels almost no difference between Qt and Gtk.  We are
in the socket layer, those are presentation layer.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588