gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Planning a 3.11 snap release

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Planning a 3.11 snap release
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:43:47 -0500

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 02:47:00 Gary E. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:14:01 -0500 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > A lot of packages fetch at build time
> >
> > err, what now ?  no they don't.  it's an oddity to be discouraged.
>
> Discouraged?  Not the place of gpsd to fly in the face of convention.
>
> Asterisk does this.  Docbook does this.  I'll start a list, but I
> already know it is long.  License restrictions make this the only option
> for a lot of packages.

if Asterisk is your shining build example, then you might have to rethink your
position :).

i'm not sure what you mean about docbook, but if you mean generally fetching
unknown DTD's and such from the network, then that is done when the DTD's
aren't already found locally.  a local db is used to look up things first.

distros go out of their way to fix this.  when upstream packages try adding
fetch logic, then it's more hassle for us to clean up their craziness.
-mike