gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Planning a 3.11 snap release

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Planning a 3.11 snap release
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:19:40 -0500

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

>>                                               Or having a separate
>> leapseconds package that can be updated immediately when there's a new
>> Bulletin C, independently of gpsd code status?
>
> Again, imagine no Internet access.  Imagine you're a low-power SBC a thousand
> miles from land...

I didn't mean that.  I meant to have a package that just has leapseconds
as a data file, as a build dependency.  Right now there is a notion of
doing a new release when there is a bulletin C with a change so that the
file included in the distfile is fresh.  This requires coordinating the
release process and bulletin C schedules.  But a package that just has
leapseconds can be released immediately.  And then that will (in
packaging systems) trigger a rebuild.  None of what we have now helps a
system that is given bits and stays unupdated for a long time.

But people with such systems need to design with parts that don't have
the flakiness that you're trying to get around.

Also, let me know what kind of GPS receiver and antenna works for
submarines.   I am actually curious how far under water it might work,
but I bet it's at most a few meters.