Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:26:40 +0000

On 9 Jan 2014, at 19:49, Markus Hitter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 08.01.2014 13:11, schrieb Niels Grewe:
>> In fact it’s very, very easy to switch the documentation to using the
>> present (not yet installed) configuration: You just have to set
>> GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=../ at the beginning of Documentation/GNUmakefile.
>
> After evaluating this more closely, it's indeed very good:
>
> - First time I see HTML documentation installed.
>
> - .info documentation is installed again.
>
> - Usage of DESTDIR works fine.
>
> - Unless the documentation installation process is changed drastically,
>  makefile fragments in the source dir always share their hierarchy
>  with the installed ones. That's how documentation.make works.
>
> - Cleaning works fine.
>
> - Build time for the whole thing almost cut in half (one run of
>  configure instead of three).
>
> - About 40 lines of complicated code removed.
>
> The only minor problem not solved is, "make -C Documentation distclean"
> _without_ configuring previously errors out (instead of doing
> nonsense before).
>
> Patch attached. It adresses Richards concerns in comments.

Hi Markus ...  When Niels suggested setting GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES at the
'beginning' of the makefile,   I suspect he meant that, for your special case,
you should set it in your environment before running the makefile.

However,  I tried your patch as follows:

$ cd Documentation
$ make
../common.make:61: ../config-noarch.make: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../config.guess: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../config.sub: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../cpu.sh: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../vendor.sh: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../os.sh: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../clean_cpu.sh: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../clean_vendor.sh: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: ../clean_os.sh: No such file or directory
../common.make:100: .././config.make: No such file or directory
../common.make:148: ../filesystem.make: No such file or directory
../common.make:857: WARNING: Your PATH may not be set up correctly !
../common.make:858: Please try again after adding "" to your path
make: *** No rule to make target `../filesystem.make'.  Stop.

Obviously it doesn't work because gnustep-make hasn't been configured yet.
You could presumably work around that issue by checking to see if the
configuration has been completed successfuly in order to decide whether to
define GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES tyo be ../ or not.

Alternatively, how about implementing Sebastien's good suggestion:

> For that matter, if the gnustep-make package would support
> generating and installing the documentation in one go, i.e.
> ./configure
> make
> make install       (which would go for me on OpenBSD into a fake environment)
> make install-docs  (that would use the values from configure, and also
> install in that fake environment)
>
> or an "install-all" (installing the makefiles and the docs with one command)

That seems a great extension which won't breask any existing functionality.