Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:13:43 +0100

>> Ian, does your demographics editor allow for input of the PUPIC ?
> No, as in reality we have no source of sensible values here in Oz. Do you in
> Germany?
No. But we did decide on a format for that long long ago.
Horst, please speak up. It involved, country of birth, date of
birth, color or eyes, ethnicity, etc. I think we sorely need
it to add at least some level of reliability to distributed
services (how can we ever link back records unless we have
identifying information going beyond an abstract primary key)?
Without that even FEBRL cannot do anything for us.

> In answer to Jim's question, PUPIC is
> personal Universal Public Identification Code, an ID number which has the
> following properties:
> - every indivudual encountered by the practice has one
> - it is unique
> - constant for the life of that individual.
IMHO also reconstructible. Hence constructed from constant
values (gender ISN'T one of those). Eye color still is, date
of birth is, country of birth at time of birth is. It needn't
(and IMHO shouldn't) be an arbitrary number.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346