Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:17:11 -0800

On Mar 2, 2004, at 6:54 PM, Ian Haywood wrote:
2/ Numbers, such as "Medicare number", "provider number, etc." Obviously totally locale and context specific. In the backend and business layer its easily to generalise
like we do with comms channels, but difficult at the GUI level.
Should we have
if locale == "AU"
elif locale == "DE":

or somethng else? I'm not sure what.

The locale may not be narrow enough (e.g. states / provinces within a country) - also patients may have more than one such "number" to support multiple payers' accounting / billing needs, also the question of whether to extend to most cleanly handle medical record and other numbers.

Should we support more than one value per patient, where each value would need to relate to, and be characterized and controlled by a table specifying:

the Agency --- e.g. national, state, regional or provincial health governing body name; private health insurer name; credit card company name; the local hospital or biomedical lab's name the Entity (Datum) name or label --- e.g. medicare #, account #, client #, card #, MRN, lab ID# the Entity (Datum) validation formula --- e.g. min/max # characters, zero-fill, mod() criteria

Where it is useful to do so, a "locale" could specify a default for entry during new patient creation and for display but I expect should be controllable within the practice, which might like to prompt more than one of these to be entered upon new patient creation.

I wonder if it is also here that the patient's unique key (used within Gnumed) could be displayed although read-only.