Re: [gnugo-devel] 9x9 opening stats against humans

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 9x9 opening stats against humans
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:05:20 +0200

Arend wrote:
> Douglas wrote:
> > 5-3 is currently excluded by the "never play
> > unpopular moves" rule in the fuseki code. Perhaps it makes sense to get
> > rid of that and throw 5-3 in with the reasonable set. Below is a patch
> > which does this.
>
> I think in general we still need to drop these unpopular moves. The
> reason is simply that the database as is way too bad IMNSHO, there are
> some really bad moves in there.

Agreed, there were too many oddball games included for all moves to be
useful.

> (A quick browsing showed me Fuseki32 and
> Fuseki117. Of check some that we already had to commeont out.) I think the
> database should be rebuilt using a better set of games (i.e. played
> y higher-ranking players).

That would be best, at least if we can collect sufficiently many high
quality games.

> Of course it would make _a lot_ of sense to combine this rebuilding with
> your analysis.
>
> But for 9x9 openings I agree we could do away with it

I think a simpler and more robust solution is to disable that test for
the first two moves. Those patterns should be few and easy to manually
check for strange moves.

> (and 5-3 looks like a reasonable move to me).

Absolutely.

/Gunnar