Re: [gnugo-devel] 9x9 opening stats against humans

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 9x9 opening stats against humans
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:00:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Douglas,

your analysis is really useful.

One point:

Douglas wrote:
> 5-3 is currently excluded by the "never play
> unpopular moves" rule in the fuseki code. Perhaps it makes sense to get
> rid of that and throw 5-3 in with the reasonable set. Below is a patch
> which does this.

I think in general we still need to drop these unpopular moves. The
reason is simply that the database as is way too bad IMNSHO, there are
some really bad moves in there. (A quick browsing showed me Fuseki32 and
Fuseki117. Of check some that we already had to commeont out.) I think the
database should be rebuilt using a better set of games (i.e. played
y higher-ranking players).
Of course it would make _a lot_ of sense to combine this rebuilding with
your analysis.

But for 9x9 openings I agree we could do away with it (and 5-3 looks
like a reasonable move to me).

> 19x19 should be interesting as well.
Indeed.

Arend