Re: [gnugo-devel] bug in find_neighbor_dragons()

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] bug in find_neighbor_dragons()
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:39:07 -0700

> Gunnar wrote:
> > The first one looks rather accidental and the last two are related to
> > semeai reading mistakes being uncovered. In my opinion there is no
> > question that we should fix the bug even though the regression delta
> > is disappointing, but I'll give you a chance to protest before
> > applying the patch.
>
> I found it unbelieveable that you even considered if it would be a good
> idea *not* to fix a bug even though it creates a few FAILs.

But Gunnar stated that he thought that there was no question
about not fixing the bug, so he is not of this opinion.

> Now, I understand that some times there are "bugs" or perhaps rather
> simple solutions to complex problems that have to be used since the full
> solution is simply not feasible, or perhaps that the infrastructure in the
> rest of the program is not ready yet.
>
> But what I see is a tendency to hold on to these oversimplifications and
> to stick to old solutions even though the time to improve them has clearly
> come.
>
> So, in short, I think that development version should be allowed to be
> weaker, at least for a short while.  When the time for release becomes
> close, then we should postpone these types of patches.
>
> Are we close to a release now?

GNU Go 3.4 is already a year old. It seems to me that we are
not very close to a release, but we are in the middle period
of the release cycle when we should be cautious about changes
that make the engine weaker.

Dan