Re: [gnugo-devel] dynamic connection status?

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] dynamic connection status?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:48:14 +0100

Tristan wrote:
> I have finally found how to handle monkey jumps and the two space
> connection on the third line, I will start porting it to gnugo
> next monday.

Nice.

> I also plan to rewrite simple_ladder so as to be more reliable and
> treat more cases.

Can you expand on this? What kind of unreliability have you
encountered and which further cases do you want to treat?

> I'd also like to know your views about the design of the connection
> reader. It will surely help me improve my design.

My main problem is that I always get lost in the multitude of
functions calling each other and that I haven't understood how to
solve many of the fundamental failures.

If I were to design a connection reader, I would set it up much
simpler. I would keep recursive_connect() and recursive_disconnect()
essentially as they are but radically change the move generation.
Instead of having various functions trying connect and disconnect in
some specific number of moves I would have one single move generation
function which computes some "connection distance" measure around the
two strings and generates moves which try to increase or decrease this
distance depending on whether a connect or disconnect move is wanted.

/Gunnar