Re: [gnugo-devel] dynamic connection status?

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] dynamic connection status?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:30:13 -0500

In
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2001-December/000754.html
Gunnar said:
>4. Replace jump_out_helper and similar with readconnect based
>conditions. In general many patterns which require a safe move would
>be better served with a "can connect" kind of constraint.

I've implemented the following 4 helpers, in the obvious way,
using string_connect & disconnect:
  {"oplay_connect", -2, "play_connect_n(color, 1, %d"},
  {"xplay_connect", -2, "play_connect_n(OTHER_COLOR(color), 1, %d"},
  {"oplay_disconnect", -2, "play_connect_n(color, 0, %d"},
  {"xplay_disconnect", -2, "play_connect_n(OTHER_COLOR(color), 0, %d"},

For the one pattern & problem I've tried them on they work quite
nicely.  I'll submit a patch tomorrow, assuming the regressions
hold together over night.

Gunnar also said:
>First, however, it would be a good idea to implement some kind of
>caching of the connection results.
This is something better tackled by someone more familiar with the
caching, but I think it should definitely happen sooner rather than
later.  I think this will be a very popular set of helpers.

-Trevor