Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.0 under Microsoft Windows

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.0 under Microsoft Windows
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:01:14 -0800

> I am Tan Soon Youn, author of TanGo
>
> http://www.amourtan.com/

TanGo looks nice, though I haven't tried it. (I don't
use windows.) I'm pleased to see programs that have
new ideas in them.

> TanGo is freeware although not GPL yet.
>
> I wish you can provide a link to my website as one
> of your GNU Go client.  I will also link my site to
> GNU Go website.

I would like very much to link to your site. At
the moment I'm not allowed to, as I will explain.

I'm not allowed to link from gnu.org to software
which is not `Free' in the sense that the source
code is available, and distributed under a license
that allows the user to modify and redistribute it.

The license doesn't have to be GPL. See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html for the
definition of free software as we use the term.

As far as I can tell you don't distribute the
source code to TanGo. For that reason I'm not
allowed to link to your website.

Of course opening up your source code is your
decision. But there's one big advantage to making
your source code available which is that people
send you bugfixes and sometimes big enhancements to
the program, as we've found out.

Dan