Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: Value of edge josekis reduced

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: Value of edge josekis reduced
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:24:08 -0500

>GNU Go makes many bad tenukis. This results in inconsistent play,
>where a group will be developed, then abandoned because when a
>threatening move is made, suddenly something else looks bigger.
>strategy test 20 is a case in point.
>
>I don't think these patterns should be changed from J to j.
>Maybe strategy test 20 is a case worth thinking about. How
>can GNU Go see that the connection at Q11 is absolutely
>necessary?

strategy:20 is a tough position, and I think GNU Go's choice of
C11 is debateable (probably a losing argument, though!).  The real
problem occurred earlier in the game, when C11 probably should
have been played before the invading on the right - something
that GNU Go may very well do now.

I've not spent much time studying the fuseki problems, in part
because they are very hard, and it's so distracting seeing all
the endgame and life & death blunders.

With this disclaimer, I wonder the value of problems like
strategy:20, which are not totally clear cut.  Is it
worth fretting over a situation that is unlikely to occur
again, anyway?  Also, the original point of strategy:20 was
!R11, not so much Q11.  Had GNU Go played C11 originally, I
doubt it would have made the regressions.

-Trevor