Re: [gnugo-devel] overlaps/duplications of move reasons

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] overlaps/duplications of move reasons
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:30:13 +0100 (CET)

Thx for your language comments, both concerning my C and my english :-)

Gunnar wrote:
> It looks fine, except for the fact that actually deleting the move
> reasons makes me very nervous. I see three potential problems with
> this
> 1. A lot of time can be wasted in debugging missing move reasons if
>    one forgets, or don't know, about this discardment.
Well, only if you debug move reasons without using DEBUG_MOVE_REASONS :-)

> 2. It's not entirely unreasonable that it may be useful to have the
>    discarded move reasons available, although they are not used
>    directly in the valuation.
> 3. There's a risk this could interfere with a future caching scheme
>    similar to the one used in examine_position().
>
> Instead of deleting the move reasons I think it would be better to
> somehow just mark them as redundant, e.g. using a new field in struct
> move_reason.
This sounds convincing; it should also make it easy to add other rules
to handle move reasons, e.g. devalueing instead of discarding a move
reason.

If noone else shouts, I will go ahead and implement this along the lines
Gunnar suggested.

-Arend