Re: [gnugo-devel] defends against combination attack on several worms

From: Inge Wallin
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] defends against combination attack on several worms
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:28:54 +0100 (MET)

Trevor wrote:
> This move reason is often greatly over-valued:
>   defends against combination attack on several worms
>
> For example:
>   strategy3:121
>   strategy3:101
>
> I think this was added recently.  Does it help more than it hurts?

Oh, it helps a lot.  One of the biggest problems with atari_atari
right now (although Gunnar might disagree) is that we only get the
size of the biggest attacked strings, not which ones they are.

A small group might be worth much more than a big one, e.g. if it is a
cutting stone that when captured saves a big group of our own.

Another problem with the implementation today, although not with the
concept, is the one that you point out: certain moves have overlapping
valuations.  Today, it will probably be easy to take care of this,
since the only thing that atari_atari handles are chains of threats to
capture strings.  I plan to evolve the concept into handling threats
to save stones, threats to live or kill and threats to connect or
break connections as well.

        -Inge