Re: Zope?

From: Abdul Hafiz Abdullah
Subject: Re: Zope?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 03:56:50 +0100 (BST)

i have toyed with Zope for a couple of days, and i loved it
immediately, i can see the usefulness and ease of use of of zope for
publishing, i suppose it can be used to build a business app. others
have mentioned the advantages and disadvantages of zope for using
zope for gnue. technicalities aside, i think the biggest problem of
zope is the licence.

sure its GPL compatible but its too generous ala BSD, X11. though i
would love to use it (incidentally, i'm not using it) and would
encourage others too. i am glad that the creators of GNUE had the
foresight to use the GPL licence that will protect our freedom.

 --- address@hidden wrote: > Hello!

> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:44:46AM -0700, Todd Boyle wrote:
> > My understanding is, that if Zope were the foundation of GNUE,
> > it would not prevent or inhibit any of the higher goals of GNUE.
> > In other words, that GNUE could be just as stable, secure,
> > and well-performing using the "libraries" in Zope as with
> > GNUE's native Python applications.

> I'm applying FreePM on a comercial basis, it's a Zope-based
> Practice
> Managment Tool.
>
> It does not work the way it should - too much resources consumed,
> the
> Object-Oriented Database is nice, but not always suficiently
> efficient, until now, internationalizacion support is weak, the
> "programming" language DTML/HTML leads you to weird accumulations
> of
> program/format/text mixed source, etc.
>
> That is, why I'm waiting (silently) for Gnue to come up with a
> stronger and more generic framework for business programming.
>
> Best Regards,
>
>      Jorge-León
>

> P.D.: I don't like HTML-Interfaces, please spare comments about
> this,
> and I *do* like Zope a lot.  As stated by another person on the
> list -
> for what it is.

=====
cheeers,