Re: Zope?

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: Zope?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:41:55 -0500

For starters, GNUe is not a web-based application.  We will have some
web extensions to our tools, but it is not, nor ever will be, a
completely web-based solution.

Aside from this general observation, it would be possible to have a
web-based application server as the backend. We've toyed with the idea
of supporting JBoss and (somewhat) Zope as backends, but nothing has
come of this as our resources are very limited.

As anyone who follows our development knows, we use modular "adapters"
for everything we can -- including backends for our tools.  With little
effort, we support close to a dozen databases today. The same will
happen with middleware backends. GEAS is our priority, but I'm sure the
tools will eventually support these other options.

I cannot speak for the GNUe Application Server folks (I am a client-side
tool developer). However, from my point of view, Application Server is
very much an over-used term that has little meaning these days.
"Application Server" can describe anything from a web portal to a
business rules server to a database proxy. It's just not a useful word
to compare applications. It's almost as useless as the term
"middleware".  Again, that term is a very broad, all-encompassing word
that gives little clue as to what role the application actually serves.

I think a description for Zope would be "highly-extensible web-based
publishing environment that is Object Oriented in nature."  Err, wait,
that's basically what ZOPE stands for -- "Z Objects Publishing
Environment."  Sure, it's a type of application server, but I don't see
too much overlap in goals.

GNUe also runs the risk when using the term "Application Server" of
confusing would-be developers.  We have a very specific focus with our
app server -- i.e., a business rules + data server.  Well, actually, I
envision a series of servers: "business rules/data server", "RBAC
authentication server","workflow server", etc. This may not be fully in
line with Reinhard's and Derek's views, but I have a feeling it is
close.

Now, it could be feasible, I suppose, to reuse the very core of Zope as
our core and not use their higher-level content-specific layer. However,
from a practical standpoint, I truly think this would be more effort
than it's worth. For starters, we already have a strong core
(gnue-common) that would provide pretty much what the "core" of Zope
would provide . Also, Zope is a very complex piece of software to
develop on internally. From Zope 3.0's Wiki board:

   "You can't learn Zope in bite sized chunks; you must learn the
   entire framework at once. You can't use familiar tools and
   techniques. It's hard to reuse code. The Zope development model (ie
   Products) often seem too heavy-weight. Zope products don't offer a
   good separation between logic and content."

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/VisionStatement

So what's my point with all this rambling? Basically, be wary of
comparing applications just because they both use the term "Application
Server."  My toilet paper dispenser is an application server.  So is my
refrigerator.  I try not to confuse the two, though.

We've also been approached by the DotGNU folks about them reusing parts
of our Application Server for their .NET replacement. I think tossing
the "Application Server" phrase around is causing the same confusion in
this case.  What exactly is an application server to DotGNU? Is it the
same as GNUe's definition? What about Zope's?

I honestly think a better question would be "why isn't DotGNU considering using
Zope as an Application Server?" as I see more overlap there than here.

Now please bear in mind that several of us use Zope in our professional
settings. None of us are Zope core programmers, but we have done some
hefty sites using Zope. I am not IN ANY WAY putting down Zope as a
specialized application server. I use it everyday and absolutely love
it; but, I love it for what it is -- a web-based content server. I also
have to give credit where credit is due... Zope has been the leading
example of python programming for some time now. We directly benefit
from any contributions they've made back to the python language and
python's extensive standard library.

Also, be judicious with your use of the word "Public Domain"... very
little (if any) of our or Zope's work is in the Public Domain. It's
almost always copyrighted. "Public Domain" is a specific legal term just like
"Copyright" is.

Well, that's my (not-so-) short thoughts on the matter.

Jason Cater
GNU Enterprise
address@hidden