Re: [open-cobol-list] JCL (Was: Hi all)

From: Dave Stratford
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] JCL (Was: Hi all)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:53:00 +0100 (BST)

J. Leslie Turriff wrote:
>       JCL (Job Control Language) is a sort of scripting tool for running jobs
> in
> the batch-oriented z/OS and z/VSE operating systems.  I don't believe
> there
> are any other OSes that use such a concept (the only others I've seen were
> on
> NCR's Century and Criterion OSes).

ICL's VME operting system does. Called SCL rather than JCL, but the
concept is the same. SCL is a compiled HLL in it's own right designed to
link together the cobol appication code and setting up the files etc. It
can also be used from the command line.

Dave

--
Hexagon Systems Limited                             Experts in VME solutions