[open-cobol-list] Small addition for OpenCOBOL Programmers Guide

From: vince
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Small addition for OpenCOBOL Programmers Guide
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:25:38 +0100

On Tuesday 10 Apr 2012 19:28:11 Fred Mobach wrote:

> Perhaps this remark should be posted elsewhere, if so please tell me
> where.

Nope, here is correct.

> In chapter 1.5 of OpenCOBOL Programmers Guide.pdf is noted:

> The following are special directives or characters that may be used in
> OpenCOBOL programs to signify various things.
> “*” in column 7            Signifies the source line is a comment. This
> is valid only when in FIXED mode.
>
> What is NOT yet mentioned is that the slash character ("/") in column 7
> in FIXED mode is also accepted as a special character to be skipped.

Err, according to my passing through OC a large number of programs/modules
from MF Workbench etc, and OC then complaining, I would suggest not so.

'/' are not an accepted character, which is used to eject page on printing and
as the compiler does not really produce full reporting (other than via the -P
flag) it would not get used so sounds reasonable that it is not liked :)

Also the MF other printer control tags, as far as I know also not liked
(migration was too long ago).

However certain aspects of the $IF, $ELSE & $END are accepted although I do
seem to get some mixed results.