Re: [open-cobol-list] Screen section under htcobol vs. cobc.

From: john Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Screen section under htcobol vs. cobc.
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:40:22 -0500

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 18:47:11 +0000
vince <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 Feb 2012 17:15:16 john Culleton wrote:
> > The program below is taken from the test.prog/test23 subdirectory
> > of the tiny-cobol 66 files. It compiles and runs under htcobol with
> > no problems (to be expected.) It compiles and runs via Open Cobol
> > only with modifications:
> > 1. I put 6 spaces on the left of each line and compiled it as fixed,
> > which is apparently the original format (note comment line
> > format).
> > 2. On line 35 an error occurred. When I changed the word " color "
> > to " background-color " it compiles OK. That is the version I show
> > below.
>
> Cant see that line but 'color' is not a format used for screen
> section or display but foreground / background-color (and for some
> compilers foreground/background-colour, note the 'u')  is.
>
> > 3. When the listing below is compiled and run under cobc the screen
> > format is jumbled. It is correct when compiled under htcobol.
> >
> > It is possible that the code is incorrect. It is also possible
> > that cobc is less advanced in this area than htcobol. The Open
> > Source Cobol manual is a bit sketchy in this area.
>
> replace the test of '0267' with '1003' which is the correct test for
> F3, see screenio.cpy.
>
> Also I removed all of the 'comp' s to leave all values you display
> and accept as type DISPLAY by default.
>
> You never use other than display values on any compiler I have ever
> used although comp does often work.
>
> Now see if it is doing what you expect.
>
> Vince

Removing the comp words has no effect. Changing the screen test value
makes F3 work for cobc but of course makes htcobol F3 not work.

Changing the word color to background-color corrects that error on line
35.

No matter what I do the cobc version give a messed up screen. See:
http://wexfordpress.com/htcobolscreen.png
and
http://wexfordpress.com/cobcscreen.png

One or the other compiler is handling screens incorrectly, and/or there
ere errors in the code. I just want to know what causes the
discrepancies.
The OC Manual and the books I have give very little help on the screen
section.

 John Culleton