Re: GNU Guix 0.8.3 released

From: Marko Rauhamaa
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 0.8.3 released
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:54:18 +0300

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>:

> () Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden>
> () Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:27:44 +0300
>
>    I have definite use cases in mind where I might be interested
>    in migrating to Guix. I hope to be able to investigate Guix
>    one day.  However, it's a complex beast, and the introductory
>    material hasn't been prepared with my use cases in mind.  So
>    there is a bit of a hill to climb.
>
> What use cases do you have in mind?

Here's one: I want to package a development library much like an RPM
package. In fact, RPM would be just fine except it expects to be
installed *by root* on *the computer*. I would need the development
library to be installed *by a regular user* under *a directory*.

Here's another one: I have a package dependency diamond. Package A
depends on packages B and C. B depends on package D ver 1.1. C depends
on package D ver 1.2. I want D ver 1.2 to be able to declare binary
compatibility with D ver 1.1 so the dependency diamond can be resolved
by the packaging system without touching package B's dependencies.

Marko