Re: What to call Guix

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:07:36 +0000

> * It comes from "reference implementation", which means an
> implementation intended mainly to be studied when making other
> implementations, rather than for real use.  Guix is not meant
> only to be studied.
>
> * It suggests something that is basic and not at all fancy, whereas
> Guix is an innovative experimental approach.

Fair points.  It does give a connotation of the base on which to build.

> This leads me to think of calling it an "avant-garde distribution".
> Perhaps "The GNU Project's avant-garde distribution of GNU/Linux".

"Avant-garde" strikes me as something one might use to describe Guix in
passing but not as something that would use as part of its
formal/official designation.  I also associate it more with art than
technology.

Something like "next generation" seems to me to fit better.  But this
could just be an effect of being indoctrinated by the marketing
techniques that tried to sell me toys and video games in the 80s.

-brandon

--
Brandon Invergo
http://brandon.invergo.net