Re: The future of mobile computing.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: The future of mobile computing.
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 07:56:08 -0500

  > The advantage is that with Replicant on a decent phone, you almost get
  > something as secure as a normal (understand: not recent, fancy,
  > SecureBoot and/or tablet laptops) computer.

Unfortunately, that is not so.  And we can't make it so.

Running Replicant brings ordinary phones as close as to freedom
as they have any real hope of coming.  But that is not secure.

Replicant provides free software for the main ("application")
processor of the phone.  However, the phone has a second processor,
the "modem" processor, which talks with the phone radio network.
That is always run by proprietary software with a universal back door.

Even worse, nearly all phones allow the modem processor to take
control of the main processor and replace its software.
These phone models can't possibly be secure.

We don't know the specs to write a free replacement for that
proprietary software, but even if we did, the modem processor
would refuse to run it without the manufacturer's signature.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation