Re: Road map--or some such.

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: Road map--or some such.
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:24:56 +0200

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:03:44AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    Maybe it is feasable to use an old version of dpkg which is not yet
>    that bulky?
>
> As I said, I am not sure on any point w.r.t. the package manager.  I
> would like to have something that is small that one-two people can
> maintain with ease.

Do the BSD systems have any support for binary packages?

How could stow and dpkg interact?  (Don't they overlap?)  What is
missing about stow that we need?

> How should we define the "base system" by the way?  Bootstrapable
> system (+ installation stuff of course), like the BSDs?

In my understanding, a base system is the stuff that is needed to
a) solve system configuration problems and
b) install additional packages
plus Emacs, of course.

Something along the lines of:

gnumach hurd glibc unicode-console-fonts
emacs
nano [as fallback if emacs is broken]
coreutils findutils inetutils termutils
bc ed gawk gcal grep sed gzip tar
less readline bash
ncurses
grub e2fsprogs
perl guile gcron dmd
$package_management_stuff

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--
Repeating false statements makes them true.