Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Violations of GPL in GuixSD packaging design

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Violations of GPL in GuixSD packaging design
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 14:36:21 +0200

> Joshua Gay <address@hidden> skribis:

--snip--
>>> Thank you much. I could now unpack the sources. And I could verify that
>>> patched wicd sources are on the GuixSD substitute distribution website.
>>
>> I believe that all resources (binaries, sources, and documentation) are
>> all on the same Web site, however, that things are spread out across
>> differet parts of that site  (www.gnu.org, hydra.gnu.org, etc), correct?
>
> On a default installation, the ‘guix’ sub-commands download everything
> from hydra.gnu.org (including source), unless --no-substitutes is
> passed.
>
> I guess an important difference from a distro like Debian is that, while
> probably most users get binaries and source from hydra.gnu.org, users
> can ignore it (--no-substitutes) or choose a different server
> (--substitute-urls).  But in any case, they are still using the very
> same Guix.
>
> This makes it more difficult to reason about “distribution”, because
> distribution is orthogonal.
>
> Again, Guix is essentially a Gentoo-like source distro, and what it
> distributes above all is recipes, not binaries.  Tricky!

While I agree, as a gentoo user and packager I have to point out
that gentoo also ships licenses in own, separate files, see
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.license
"Licenses are stored in /usr/portage/licenses/." But the package
definition (ebuild) only carries the LICENSE variable, for
example LICENSE="GPL-3".
So Guix could do something equal and ship the complete license
texts, or do it on demand (on demand, for example: -> user
installs package with $licenses 1+2, guix pulls copy of $licenses
1+2 and saves them in a system accessible location)?

If this short reply holds information incorrect on Guix due to
not having looked into this part of Guix yet and only the
packaging part, please correct me.

--snip--

--
ng0