Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Emulators

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Emulators
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:24:10 +0100

Jason Self wrote:
More about emulators in general, since we've already determined this particular
one to have freedom-related problems.

Apparently there are resources ([1], [2]) available to learn how to write your own game.

And if someone were to create one, or have a copy of one of those that Matt
mentioned where the author has allowed distribution & modification, shouldn't
there be a free software emulator out there to run it on?

There is. I just prefer not to include it in the repo just for hypothetical games. Anyone who wants to create one can get the emulator from the original source.

Let me ask that question another way: Is it a good idea to make people use only
proprietary software for any task?

Of course not. But if the only known use for the free software is to enable proprietary software then it doesn't have a place in a free distro, IMO.

I see your point and I argued (as kind of a devil's advocate) the same for ndiswrapper. IIRC, there even is a free wifi driver that can work with ndiswrapper, but nobody uses it that way. Likewise I don't see why anyone would want to write games for ancient emulated platforms if they make the game run native instead.