Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Emulators

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Emulators
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:30:42 +0100

Graziano wrote:
I don't know if there are free software ROMs out there but I never heard of them.

Apparently there are resources ([1], [2]) available to learn how to write your own game. I don't know of any free ROMs either, though.

The point is I always heard rms talking about banning a program if it *suggests* the use of non free software such as firefox proposing to install Adobe Flash or linking a non free addon page.

It doesn't seem the case here but I may be wrong.

This is similar to ndiswrapper [3]: if the purpose of the program is to enable running a particular type of software and none of that software is free, then including the program in the distro suggests it's OK to run that non-free software. While it is possible to develop free software for it, it's easier to write that software directly for the underlying platform instead of the emulator, so it's unlikely that much of it exists.

[1] http://nesdev.parodius.com/NESTechFAQ.htm#beginprogramming
[2] http://bobrost.com/nes/
[3] http://libreplanet.org/wiki/NONFSDG#ndiswrapper.2C_ndisgtk