Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming Distros at libreplanet

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming Distros at libreplanet
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:05:04 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:56:34 GMT
address@hidden (Karl Berry) wrote:

No, FSF/GNU definitely do not (and can not) have the review process
covered.  This has been a problem since day one of the free distro
list.

distros.  It seems now that no definite procedure has been
established. So let's establish one, ok?  Coordinating through the
Incoming_distros page seems as good as any, to me.

I'm willing to help work on a procedure, but i'm not sure what would be
involved - some form of check to see it matches all the free
distribution guidelines, but then what? check for known freedom issues?
lurk in the community to look for recommendations of proprietary
software? something else?

Something like:
* Check source availability.
* Check developer activity.
* Check NONFSDG issues (and maybe sample some of Debian non-free or other usual suspect packages) in installed instance and bug tracker.
* If unreported issue found, report a but and follow up on promptness.
* Skim website and provided documentation.
* Skim mailing list/forum, lurk on IRC/XMPP.
* Report and discuss findings.

(Hm, I hope gNewSense won't get scratched off the list. ;) )

Like probably many here, I don't have much time to do this, though I hope to make an effort. If the Parabola CD that I burnt a few days ago doesn't get buried under a pile of paper, I might check it out.