[GNU-linux-libre] Sources (was: Incoming Distros at libreplanet)

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Sources (was: Incoming Distros at libreplanet)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:17:31 +0200

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:56:34 GMT
address@hidden (Karl Berry) wrote:

> After the recent
> mail, I also added another check for GNU webmasters to make -- that the
> sources are readily available.
>
> Thoughts?

Speaking of - what did it actually mean "that the sources are readily
available"?

Did it mean that a project must actually host the sources of all contents of
the distro (including sources of Linux, GNU, Xorg, GNOME, KDE, etc.)? This
would mean a considerable amount of resources must be spent for that,  which
could be a problem for small projects.

Or would it be enough for the project to host just their own sources plus
a building mechanism which fetch the sources from their primary locations (e.
g. from
ftp.gnu.org for GNU)? That's what many distros with a ports-like system do
(like Parabola and ConnochaetOS).

I know little about how other free distros handle this situation. Gnewsense and
Trisquel as Debian based distros have the sources in their repository and I
think BLAG offers source-RPMs.
But I wasn't, for example, able to locate sources from dyne:bolic and Dragora
(I didn't search very hard, though).

Kind regards,

Henry