gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] GNU Crypto 2.1.0 RC1

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: [GNU Crypto] GNU Crypto 2.1.0 RC1
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:43:49 -0700

I've put a release candidate for GNU Crypto 2.1.0 here:

  http://syzygy.metastatic.org/gnu-crypto/

This will, if it works out okay, become the GNU Crypto 2.1.0 release. If you have a moment, please download it and try it out! Binary as well as source releases are available.

However, please don't download this if you are merely interested in using it in a project of yours; I'm more interested in getting some feedback about how this release works, and if all goes well the final release will appear (on GNU mirrors) this weekend.

I'm releasing this version now because it has been a long time since a new GNU Crypto release has come out, and a lot of neat things have been added. I had been waiting until the more interesting things were more complete than they are now, but given my lack of time to devote to the project, I doubt I'll complete them anytime soon, and that shouldn't keep the new features only in CVS.

What follows is an incomplete draft of some release notes for 2.1.0:

GNU Crypto 2.1.0 represents, in the same tradition as the Linux kernel, an "odd-numbered" major release, and is meant for active development. This means that things in between 2.1 micro releases may change wildly, in the spirit of developing the code further, to eventually produce release 2.2, which will remain stable. 2.1.0 will not depart that far from what was made available in 2.0, but a lot has been added, so we don't expect existing applications using GNU Crypto to need much revision.

There are some significant changes in this release, however:

* Building with GCJ, including producing native shared libraries, is not currently supported. For bytecode generation, we need a compiler that understands `-sourcepath.' Recent releases of GCJ should be able to compile GNU Crypto's Jar file to native code, however. * Many new algorithms have been added, including password-based encryption, SSL and TLS padding schemes, the OMAC message authentication code, the EAX encryption mode, the Fortuna and CSPRNG pseudo-random number generators, and various key transform algorithms for JCE support. * A replacement for the `keytool' program is in development. A version with some basic functions in place is included. * The clean-room JCE, JAAS, JGSS, and SASL API's have been removed, and are now required as a part of the system you are targeting, meaning you will need a recent developer snapshot of GNU Classpath, or will need a runtime that supports the 1.4 security features, and has the SASL API introduced in 1.5. * A partial implementation of NIST's PKITS X.509 test suite (there is also an implementation of X.509 certificates, but in free runtimes we suggest using the implementation included in GNU Classpath instead).

Happy hacking!