Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch 2.0 and delta compression

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch 2.0 and delta compression
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:30:49 +0200

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:12:14 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> I'm very skeptical of "the Codeville merge algorithm" for reasons
> not terribly important here.   Let's stipulate, for the sake
> of conversation, that it's the greatest thing since toast and,
> additionally, that it imposes a moral imperative on revctl developers
> to optimize-for-annotate.

As far as I understand the Codeville merge algorithm, it is a line-wise
3-way merge. It reduces to 3-way merge when there is only one most
recent common ancestor to the two files. Thus the algorithm is actually
a bit better than pure 3-way merge.

On the other hand, it's better in the case when there is more than one
most recent common ancestor, which is very rare, so it's not really
a priority.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>