Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cannot upload archive to my ISP

From: Sylvain Defresne
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cannot upload archive to my ISP
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:04:29 +0200

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 17:30, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> As far as I know, the hidden files are a required part of the archive
> format.
>
> Certainly, the .listing files are necessary to provide web access to the
> archive.  In theory, you could fake the .listing files with .htaccess
> magic, but in practice, you can't upload .htaccess files, either.

In fact, the .listing file are needed to work are the lack of standard
directory listing by webserver (it is not needed when webserver support
WebDAV), not for access control. So a third option will be to use WebDAV
if your ISP webserver support it.

The other dot file used by the arch archive format is .archive-version
used to distinguish between arch version 1 and version 2 of the archive
format.
--
Sylvain Defresne                               <address@hidden>
1024D/A036DDB1 6AB9 B65F 7C44 819F DD42  62D2 A093 2840 A036 DDB1