RE: [Gnu-arch-users] further tla/win32 progress

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] further tla/win32 progress
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:30:52 -0500

> From: Alejandro Mery [mailto:address@hidden

> Johannes Berg wrote:

> > Thats because the tree is so deep. You could try ROS
> > Explorer and see what happens with that.
>
> it couldn't :(
> i moved the tree to a junk folder and forget about it.
> it screams 'file not found' when i try to enter or delete some
> directories inside ++pristine.
> just because i'm curious, is it using some weird ntfs internals which
> can make unsafe to delete stuff?

It is not unsafe to delete it.  Rather, I believe it uses the magic filename
syntax that bypasses the Win32 Object Manager Namespace manipulation,
allowing it to create directories that list out deeper than Win32 260
character limit.  The trick I have found for deleting them is to go as deep
into the tree as possible, without Explorer crashing, then move that
directory to the root of the given drive.  Once it is there you should be
able to delete that portion and then go back and delete the non-deep
remainder.

Of course, the trick here is you only know you've gone too deep when
Explorer crashes.