Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: grokking arch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: grokking arch
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:38:15 -0500

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:19:11PM -0600, Parker, Ron wrote:
> At least ace, add, cab, cad, db, facade, and face seem likely to turn up in
> some code somewhere, if not in a UUID.

No doubt, but it's probably not very relevant -- a programmer doing a
search-replace is going to realize that a very short word like `db' is prone
to mismatches, and be more careful than when replacing the word `cordsnoot'.

In general it's a very good idea to use something like `\<db\>', rather than
just `db' (in emacs, give a C-u prefix to get the same effect with the
non-regexp query-replace command) -- of course that will avoid uuid problems
entirely, but more importantly, will avoid mismatches of shorter words that
are actually substrings of longer words (which happens fairly often in my
experience).

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]