Re: [Gnu-arch-users] empty commits

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] empty commits
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:48:59 -0600

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 05:39, Jani Monoses wrote:
> it looks like even when no changes are made in a working copy tla commit
> proceeds and stores an empty changeset in the archive (actually the
> patchlog only)
> Is this intended and has some subtle reasoning behind it or it's just a
> bug?

Patchlog-only changesets can be important -- used, for instance, to say
"never merge $THIS third-party patch into my tree" by adding its
patchlog but not the change itself.

I can likewise see cases where empty changesets including only their own
patchlog could be useful to 3rd-party software built on top of arch
storing metadata in the patchlogs -- but that seems rather a special
case, enough so for a --force flag or somesuch.

There may be other good reasons too, though, that I'm missing. Tom?