[Gnu-arch-users] Coda -> Arch (-> Coda)? [was: fedora core 2 will includ

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Coda -> Arch (-> Coda)? [was: fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:16:40 +0900

    Adrian> I used Coda until I realised a) I was sick of losing
    Adrian> connection and not realising until I had conflicts I could
    Adrian> never seem to repair (tar, reinitialise Coda,
    Adrian> untar.. sigh), b) I couldn't use it on production machines
    Adrian> due to stability, and c) having revision history was
    Adrian> better anyway.

AFAIK all of those conflict problems, and much of the instability, are
fixed as of Coda 6.0.  (Current release is 6.0.5.)

That said, I don't see any reason why you would want to go back if it
works for you.  I never managed to get up appropriate discipline for
multiply disconnected operation (no, Miles, you are not the only
person still using a dialup in this country, and I bet you aren't
limited to 14.4 kbps, either ;-), so Coda still is a win for me.

ObArch:

Note that according to the Coda maintainer, storing arch stuff (I
don't remember whether it was archives, workspaces, or both) in the
Coda fs is a bad idea because coda semantics for some operations are
not what arch expects.  Don't recall the details, you could ask Jan
Harkes if you care (ISTR it had to do with using mv'ing stuff about,
maybe something to do with locking).