Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Patch] Underscores in 'make-archive' e-mail

From: conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Patch] Underscores in 'make-archive' e-mail
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:57:21 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:55:58PM +0100, Robin Farine wrote:

> Well, not so right :-). Having read the remarks Jan made about Jean's
> patch, I looked at rfc 2822 and learned that the domain part of an
> e-mail address does not at all have the restrictions that a DNS domain
> has, although in practice an e-mail address such as "address@hidden" would
> probably be refused by most of the existing e-mail systems.

actually, RFC-2822 says:

   3.4.1. Addr-spec specification

   An addr-spec is a specific Internet identifier that contains a
   locally interpreted string followed by the at-sign character ("@",
   ASCII value 64) followed by an Internet domain.
   [...]
   The domain portion identifies the point to which the mail is
   delivered. In the dot-atom form, this is interpreted as an Internet
   domain name (either a host name or a mail exchanger name) as
   described in [STD3, STD13, STD14].
   [...]
   [STD3]     Braden, R., "Host Requirements", STD 3, RFC 1122 and RFC
              1123, October 1989.

   [STD13]    Mockapetris, P., "Domain Name System", STD 13, RFC 1034
              and RFC 1035,  November 1987.

   [STD14]    Partridge, C., "Mail Routing and the Domain System", STD
              14, RFC 974, January 1986.

So IMO it's pretty clear that the domain part of an e-mail address *does*
have the restrictions that a DNS domain has.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad      | "There's nothing wrong with me - maybe there's something
Friedensallee 152 |  wrong with the universe!"

  email: address@hidden / WWW: http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~conrad