Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Namespace

From: Jean Helou
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Namespace
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:40:27 +0100

Jan Hudec wrote:

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:37:26 +0100, Jean Helou wrote:
Nonetheless you can't both require an email address in the
archive name and not support all valid email addresses.

That's precisely what arch does anyway. Require valid E-mail address,
but not support all valid ones. (Related is Bug72)

This is a list of characters, that are allowed in "dot-atom" production,
as defined in RFC2822 (mail format): alphanumerics and
! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` { | } ~ and of course .

And that's only dot-atom. Local part of email address might be a quoted
string!

RFC2821 (smtp) contains the same definition and only think it seems to
say is, that the recieving host is the only to assign any semantics --
thus sufficiently perverted host might actualy use the weird characters
above.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>
Humm, I admit I hadn't actually checked the RFC for email address validity.
Maybe not supporting all valid email addresses is okay, however '_' is in wide use just as '-' and '.' the others I have mostly seen in spammers addresses :)

On the other hand if we want to be compliant we could use the pika escaping mecanism for archive names (or at least for the email address part)

I have no idea how to use pika escaping but If others think it's worth it I will try to see if i can grok it :)

cheers,
Jean