[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Cascading patchlogs with star-merge

From: Shawn Samuel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Cascading patchlogs with star-merge
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:10:08 -0500

Merging by hand is useful where you're merging between different
development streams. In any environment where you have multiple
mainline archives that are logically federated, and all commits
are always going to percolate up the tree to the master archive,
automated merging is often going to be a requirement.

I've just started using Arch for personal projects, but already I
can easily see a number of reasons why Arch would've been great at my
last shop, where we used ClearCase, and part of what it did that
most SCM's don't (and we needed) is to enable exactly the situation
I described above. In this case, I would have setup an auto-merge
between archives, but you wouldn't want commits to result when
your merge process ran but there were no actual changes to be committed.

This functionality would be nice to have as part of tla commit as an
option, but I don't see it as a requirement for the arch core. It would
be just as well to have as part of tla-tools or somesuch, as a wrapper
to tla commit that would fail whenever there were no actual changes to
be committed. Either way, I think it is functionality that would be a
useful addition to arch.

shawn