Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree

From: John Meacham
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:10:35 -0800

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:01:29AM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Peter Conrad wrote:
>
> >Hi,

> >>"rm -Rf {arch}/++pristine-trees" in the tree root
> >>

> >Is there any particular reason why tla doesn't do that by itself? I'm
> >getting that message fairly often (on a device mounted via cryptoloop)
> >and I find it pretty annoying.
> >
> tla doesn't remove corrupt pristines automatically because there should
> never be any.
>
> Corrupt pristines are serious; they usually indicate a configuration
> problem or a problem with the way we check for corruption.  I suspect in
> your case, your device number is changing, and that's not currently
> permitted.  Covering up the problem would be counter-productive.

I also have to regularly delete the ++pristine-trees dir. I know why,
(funky distributed filesystem setup) but it is still anoying.

Why not use a cryptographic hash? that seems like a much nicer way to
verify the integrity of the pristine trees and doesn't suffer from the
device/inode issues that people have with any slightly unusual setup.
plus, they are a lot more trustworthy than device/inode numbers with the
multitude of filesystems modern unix systems support.
        John

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - address@hidden