[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Descending from multiple trees

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Descending from multiple trees
Date: 12 Mar 2004 10:42:45 +0900

Jacob Gorm Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
> tla changes --diffs xen--migration--1.3--patch-8 >somefile
>
> And use patch to merge them into xen--migration--1.2. But if I do this,
> I loose information about where these changes came from, making the
> eventual merge back into xen--unstable--1.3 harder.

Perhaps `tla apply-delta' would be useful, e.g. (not tested!):

   DEV_TRUNK=xen--unstable--1.3
   DEV_FORK=xen--migration--1.3
   STABLE_TRUNK=xen--stable--1.2
   STABLE_FORK=xen--migration--1.2

   # make the new fork $STABLE_FORK
   tla get $STABLE_TRUNK proj-tree
   cd proj-tree
   tla tag -S `tla tree-version` $STABLE_FORK
   tla join-branch $STABLE_FORK
   tla set-tree-version $STABLE_FORK

   # apply changes from dev fork
   tla apply-delta $DEV_TRUNK $DEV_FORK
   # ... fix obvious conflicts ...
   tla commit -s'Apply changes from unstable migration branch'

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]