[Gnu-arch-users] Re: GNU Arch review - am I accurate?

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: GNU Arch review - am I accurate?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:13:43 GMT

> "David A. Wheeler" <address@hidden> writes:
> > > -- but folks who actually try to use Arch for a while (myself
> > > included) tend to appreciate the conventions as they stand.
> >
> > My problem isn't with conventions per se, it's that the
> > default conventions interfere with some common tools.
>
> I suspect they interfere far less than you think, though.

That may be.  Certainly, if you never use vim, vi, or more,
you're much less likely to encounter the "+" problem, and
if you don't use bash file completion, you won't notice
any problems with "=".

But vim is one of the most popular text editors, and bash
is one of the most popular shells.  If there are alternative
conventions that are just as reasonable, but easier to use,
I'd like to see them considered.  Prefix "^" and "@" seem
the most likely so far, but I don't really care what they are,
as long as they work cleanly with nearly all tools.
Why let silly little details (like default filename conventions)
distract from the good stuff?

--- David A. Wheeler