[Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager
Date: 03 Oct 2003 00:34:35 +0900

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:
> Sounds like you want a better browsing mechanism. Heirarchial
> namespaces are popular and familiar
>
> It may be interesting to invent a heirarchial naming convention for
> branches and a tool which can browse it.

It would be nice if even lowish-level things like abrowse supported it
where appropriate though.

[but I think the concept of `hidden' branches might still be useful,
since one can't really rename branches to `move them out of the way']

> Alternatively an external index can be used, allowing anything you
> like.

Since these names really _are_ just branch names, I think it would be
quite annoying for them not to be supported by tla directly.

Of course, it might be possible to just have tla support multiple
namespaces, the current `low level' namespace, plus a hierarchical
namespace of pointers into into the low-level namespace (kind of like
CVS supports both -rX.Y and -rTAG).  As long as they were easily
distinguishable syntactically, the UI shouldn't be much problem, and
presumably any embedded names like in CONTINUATIONs would reference the
low-level namespace, so it would be OK to make the hierarchical
namespace mutable.

... or something.  :-)
It all starts to sound a bit excessively complicated...

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge