gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] Install to HD, etc

From: Sheldon Isaac
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] Install to HD, etc
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:29:23 -0400

I have been using DOS and Windows9x for years, and want to try Linux.

On Wednesday I got a computer to do that:
300 MHz AMD K6-2
FIC VA-503+ PCB 1.X
64 Mb
HITACHI CDR-7730
3.5" Floppy disk drive (3.5")
3.23 GB HD
Matrox MGA Mystique
Gameport
Sound Blaster 16/AWE-32 compatible card
U.S. Robotics 56K int modem
3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)

I have BasicLinux (address@hidden) which loads from DOS into
ramdisk. It works, but I am so un-learned that I can't mount any of the
logical drives from my second HD (it has no primary partitions, just E:,
F:, and G in an extended partition)
And the NIC can't be found by the  netsetup  command.

I was wondering whether Gnoppix can be installed to a hard drive.
The "new" computer has Win98SE on it.

(I think Basic Linux can be installed to a hard drive?)

As I understand it, if I have a friend download
ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/local/gnoppix/gnoppix-0.5.5-2.iso
and burn it to a CD-R, I can boot Gnoppix from the CD-R?

Many thanks,

Sheldon Isaac