Re: Does Gnokii ONLY support GSM phones

From: C. Kemp
Subject: Re: Does Gnokii ONLY support GSM phones
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:26:03 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:

> From: "Pawel Kot" <address@hidden>
>
> > On Mon, 27 May 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >
> > > I've tried to ask this three times.  No response.
> > >
> > > Most North American users do not have GSM phones.  The major carriers
> use
> > > CDMA or TDMA (my carrier is moving to GSM, and claims it's supported
> > > wherever there is current TDMA digital coverage - they lie :-( ).
> > >
> > > When I try to connect, I get messages prefixed with GSM_.  Is this
> because
> > > you really can't connect a TDMA phone to gnokii, or simply a bad
> assumption
> > > on the part of some developer (I have, after all, heard Brits call a
> phone
> > > "a GSM").
> >
> > Note that all gnokii developers are located in GSM-only countries. So far
> > none of US (or other TDMA-countries) people is involved in gnokii
> > development. Not because we refused someone to join us, but noone
> > volunteered to do it. All I can do with such phones is just to make the
> > connection possible for such phones.
>
> Which still hasn't answered my question.  Do you _think_ this should work on
> a TDMA phone - in which case I'd be happy to try to help just as soon as I
> figure out why I can't even run 0.4 - or has gnokii been written
> specifically for GSM phones and could not possibly run on TDMA (which makes
> little sense to me, as we're talking about connections to the device, not to
> the phone system)?

The problem is that we don't know.  The protocol information we have has
been obtained from GSM phones and much of the sms stuff has been written
to GSM specs.  That doesn't mean it won't work with TDMA phones - we just
don't honestly know.  I seem to remember some success with US phones in
the past - but without trawling the mailing list archives I can't
remember details.

If it says that your phone works in the FAQ and it doesn't then we will
change that.

You are correct that this is generally a gnokii-developers list.  If
anyone had time to specifically answer users questions then we could have
two lists.  Unfortunately we don't even have anyone to write better docs...

Chris