Re: Does Gnokii ONLY support GSM phones

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Does Gnokii ONLY support GSM phones
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 13:53:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:

> I've tried to ask this three times.  No response.
>
> Most North American users do not have GSM phones.  The major carriers use
> CDMA or TDMA (my carrier is moving to GSM, and claims it's supported
> wherever there is current TDMA digital coverage - they lie :-( ).
>
> When I try to connect, I get messages prefixed with GSM_.  Is this because
> you really can't connect a TDMA phone to gnokii, or simply a bad assumption
> on the part of some developer (I have, after all, heard Brits call a phone
> "a GSM").

Note that all gnokii developers are located in GSM-only countries. So far
none of US (or other TDMA-countries) people is involved in gnokii
development. Not because we refused someone to join us, but noone
volunteered to do it. All I can do with such phones is just to make the
connection possible for such phones.

If you are willing to help, you are welcome.