[gNewSense-users] Cannot save existing files over SMBFS

From: Tor at Shared Genius
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Cannot save existing files over SMBFS
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:09:50 -1000

Well, I have an interesting issue that is stumping me at the moment, and I cannot figure out what is going on with it. The situation is this:

I have a samba share mounted on my computer, as a filesystem. Everything works perfectly until I go to save something from an application, when I get a "general input/output error". File manager operations work perfectly. Writing to a new file from OpenOffice does create a 0B file, but OpenOffice kindly informs me that it failed to save correctly, rather than claiming to have saved.

Now, I have had challenges with some programs and /browsed/ shares, but /mounting/ them fixes that, because the files are seen as local. Files and directories are either 777 or 766, and belong to me, so there really shouldn't be a problem.

There are some /minor/ changes client side (I didn't change anything!:)), but they should only make things easier or the same, not harder. They are as follows:
I.  Changed mountpoint from /media/foo to /mnt/foo
II. Changed uid= and gid= in mount options to my user, instead of root.plugdev.

I did reinstall gNewSense (largely because of a different issue, which since seems to have been a corrupted (or badly written) /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, which caused print jobs to never get sent to the printer), but reinstalling smbfs and fixing my fstab ought to be enough, especially since the thing does mount properly.

Well, perhaps I can get a little long-winded in descriptions of issues, but hopefully someone will have some idea of how to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Tor