Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Question about gNewSense 5 (Debian Stretch)

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Question about gNewSense 5 (Debian Stretch)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 23:03:04 +0200

Op Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:38:10 +0200
schreef GREen MOnster Games <address@hidden>:

> Now the team must explain 4 points:
>
> 4. The name of developers active now. Because we need the contact to
> collaborate better.

Eddi and me. Although activity has been very low (again) recently due
to ongoing priorities/deadlines unrelated to gNewSense.

I've updated the list of members [1] to reflect currently active or
interested people (who were already a member) for as far as I'm aware.

> 1. The uploading the new scripts to build the new release.

The builder_lordeddie branch has the most recent work. @eddi: if that's
not true, please speak up.

> 2. The access to collaborate. I am interested too for that.

Great. Read access to the code is open to all, so anyone can study the
code, obviously a prerequisite to contribute patches. Questions and
patches can be sent to the -dev mailing list, which is open to all. (I
know that responsiveness is an issue, see further.) You can also apply
for membership on Savannah. I was once hesitant to approve, because
Savannah has no way to limit write access to VCS. I'm more lenient now,
commits should be double checked anyhow.

I don't give access to the servers easily. I hope you agree that needs
a high level of trust.

> 3. The collaboration to write a new website. Drupal, wordpress, plone
> or more more more more more more other.

I still think the problem is not with Moinmoin itself. I'd like to take
a different approach to tackle the issue. There are currently 24955
pages and 43272 users in the wiki. I'd first like to get rid of all
users who have never edited anything. If there's not already a script
that does that, it will have to be written.

> and plus one point 5. The name of Volunteers that translate the
> languages.

I think nobody's actively translating now.

> > Anyway, if things were a bit more transparent and distributed,
> > people could at least figure out some of the simple stuff for
> > themselves and make modest contributions. I still don't really know
> > where to begin, and so I just decide to spend my time on other
> > things instead.

Being transparent means better communication. I'm going to think of a
way to manage my time to do that. The think is that when I reply on the
mailing list I want to do it properly. So I want to take enough time
and get a clear head. Often both are lacking at the end of the day when
I have all other stuff out of the way, so I end up postponing my
replying, sometimes way too long. I need to dedicate some time for
this, if maybe only once a week. That wouldn't be super responsive, but
it's better than leaving things linger indefinitely.

I'm not sure what being more distributed would mean for the project.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=gnewsense

Regards,
Sam