Re: [Gnewsense-dev] No xv?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] No xv?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:45:30 -0500

    >     Its recorded in package lists ('easy' to fix), and in the package
    > - much harder to fix. I'm not aware of a way to change the package
    >     control file without rebuilding it.
    >=20
    > What is the obstacle to doing so?

    To which part?

To changing the package control file without rebuilding it.

    I should point out that the 'easy' fix only works until the package is
    installed. After that the metadata in the binary package is available
    to apt, and it starts 'seeing' the non-existant packages again.
    kk

We need to alter the binary package, I guess.  (Is the package control
file separate from the binary package?)  Can't that be done by
patching it with a script rather than rebuilding it?